Sue the Police

If the police overstep their powers and breach a person’s rights without reasonable cause, a civil claim for compensation may be possible.

Cases against the police are hard-fought by the State of NSW. We recommend you seek our advice before deciding to sue the police.

There are many different types of claims that can be made against the police, including:

  • Malicious prosecution.
  • Wrongful arrest and false imprisonment.
  • Assault or battery (police brutality or excessive force).
  • Trespass to property.
  • Misconduct/malfeasance in a public office.